Saturday, December 22, 2012

Transference

The partial hospital program that I'm in has a 6 week limit, no one can stay any longer than 6 weeks.  I'm having some dysregulation about this right now.  In the past 11ish years, I've probably had about 15 different therapists, a few I liked, only a couple I really connected with.  My current social worker in the partial hospital program is awesome.  I feel super comfortable talking to her, and she really seems to understand me.  Even though every time I have an appointment with her I go in thinking that I have nothing to talk about, I'm always able to talk, cry, get some good work done, and learn something about myself and my illness. She knows me well and knows what I need.

Now, I'm freaking out.  I only have about 3 weeks left in the program, and then I have to say goodbye to her.  I feel like I've really gotten attached to her, and really look forward to our sessions.  And, I'm starting to get really upset about the fact that in a few weeks I can't see her anymore.  So, now I've decided to just stop talking to her, to protect myself from the upcoming pain of having to leave.  I feel like it's so unfair!

1 comment:

  1. Hi There,
    I to have a long history Borderline Personality Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder and Generalized Anxiety Disorder plus Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

    I am in an out patient dialectic behaviour therapy program with a four hour class and 50 minute psychologist consultation per week. The current module is Interpersonal Effectiveness. I have completed Emotion Regulation, Distress Tolerance and Mindfullness.

    I know I am a guy, one who is much older than you, but I empathise with your situation. My previous psychologist, appointed by the psychiatric hospital, resigned to expand her private practice. As a consequence I quit the dbt program and only agreed to continue after much cajoling from the program director.

    I notice that you have not posted since Decemeber 22, so how did it work out? I am interested to know.

    Bevan Smith.

    ReplyDelete